The method described gives clear, clean visualisation of dual reporting functionality by leveraging standard OrgVue functionality.
In summary, these are the steps to be taken:
- Define the primary and secondary manager IDs
- Put the manager names and ids in lookup tables
- Define new properties Primary manager name and Secondary manager name with lookups
- Build a pivot using the primary and secondary manager names as axes: filter the table so only roles with dual reports show i.e. secondary manager id is not blank
The following is a worked example.
Step one: define the primary and secondary manager IDs
The following table is the basis of the worked example:
|Employee ID||Line Manager ID||Role||Name||Region||Department||Regional Rpt ID|
|1||Managing Director||Barbara Gray||HQ||Executive|
|2||1||Regional Director||Spencer Sinclair||North||Executive||5|
|3||1||Regional Director||Joseph McCool||South||Executive||10|
|5||2||Sales Manager||Thomas Lee||North||Sales||1|
|6||2||Engineering Manager||Logan Price||North||Engineering||5|
|7||2||Distribution Manager||Frances Bush||North||Distribution||5|
|8||3||Engineering Manager||Sienna Miah||South||Engineering||10|
|9||3||Distribution Manager||Elise Morris||South||Distribution||10|
|10||3||Sales Manager||Omar Webb||South||Sales||1|
|11||1||Head of Sales||Lora Williams||HQ||Sales||1|
|12||1||Head of Engineering||Steven Bias||HQ||Engineering||11|
|13||1||Head of Distribution||Sebastian Coates||HQ||Distribution||11|
where Line Manager ID is the primary manager ID, and regional reporting ID the secondary
Import this data into the dataset - when pasting, ensure you chose option Tree (by IDs) which will look like this:
If you change to Tree View and switch Parent By between the two IDs, it should be possible to visualise the different hierarchies:
Step two: put the manager names and ids in lookup tables
The sample tables are Primary Manager and Regional Manager respectively
|Line Manager ID||Name|
|Regional Rpt ID||Name|
Create two datasets in the Lookup tab.
When copying in the data, ensure you chose option Flat Data. These are what the table contents should look like:
Step three: define new properties primary manager name and secondary manager name with lookups
- In the main dataset, you will need to ensure that Line Manager ID is a text property (from the property dialog).
- In the property dialog for Line Manager ID in the main dataset, click on the eye until it says dataset, then select from the drop down list the correct lookup dataset.
- This will bring in all properties from the lookup. You can then select PrimaryManager in the property selector on the right under the guise of Line Manager ID:Name
- Use the same method for Regional Rpt ID ... Regional Manager ... name property
Step four: build a pivot using the primary and secondary manager names as axes: filter the table so only roles with dual reports show i.e. secondary manager id is not blank
- navigate to the Pivot Table view, configure the filter and apply
- configure the table so it shows the dual reporting lines on the two axes
- this is what the final table will look like: